RE: What do you guys think of STCs new definition for technicalwriter?

Subject: RE: What do you guys think of STCs new definition for technicalwriter?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 12:53:28 -0400

What I meant was looking at how the BLS or other federal government agencies
handles occupation descriptions. That's what the definition is for.

If I agreed with the premise of this endeavor, I'd help you, but my brain
does not recognize "technical communicator" as a meaningful job title.

----------
<begin highly offensive and outlandish "rant">
"It's very nice to meet you, Ben. Tell me, what line of work are you in?"

"I'm a technical communicator, Joe. And you?"

"I'm a financial advisor... now what did you say you did, again?"

"I'm a technical communicator."

"I see. So, what is it exactly that you do?"

"I work as a technical communicator -- I communicate technical things."

"You are a courier for an engineering company? You communicate technical
messages from person to person? <laughs> Is that like 'sanitary engineer'?
Please forgive me, Ben -- I'm really sorry....."

"Not exactly... it's more like what they used to call 'technical writer' a
while back."

"Hah! A 'technical writer'? Why didn't you say so?"

"Well, a bunch of people who snookered a bunch of other people snookered the
government into changing the name of the occupation, and I can't work unless
I use their ! -at- #$%^& lingo."

</end rant>
Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com