Attaching a graphic to a format in Word?

Subject: Attaching a graphic to a format in Word?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Tammy Van Boening <Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- healthlanguage -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 16:45:04 -0400

Tammy Van Boening wonders: <<... in Framemaker, we can permanently
have a graphic placed on a page every time we use a particular
paragraph style. For example, every time I use the Heading1 style in
my templates, I have a graphic called Heading1Line that is always
placed beneath the text of the tag (through the Advanced Paragraph
Properties/Reference page function in FM.) Is there a way to do this
in Word?>>

Either definitely or maybe, depending on your meaning. <g> If
"Heading1Line" means that you want a line below the heading, that's
trivial: edit the "Borders" properties of the paragraph style. Simply
select the line that appears below the text in the Preview image at
the right side of the dialog box, then choose the desired line color
and thickness on the left side of the dialog box. Click the Options
button to define how close to/far from the paragraph you want the
line to appear.

If you mean an actual graphic rather than a line, and you want it
below rather than to the left of the heading, here's one way that
doesn't work automatically in my ancient version of Word (I have to
do this manually), but that might work in a newer version: Edit the
"Bullets and numbering" or "Numbering" property of the heading style
definition so that it uses your graphic as the bullet. To do so,
select the Bullet tab of that dialog, click the "Picture" button,
then select your picture. This will replace the standard bullet with
your picture and position it to the left of the heading. With
judicious screwing around with the paragraph properties (indents,
space above and below, etc.) or picture properties (word wrap,
position, etc.) you should be able to move it below the heading.

You can also try using the Autotext feature. Search the online help
using the keywords "Autotext" and "Graphic" (minus the quotes) and
you should turn up a topic named "Create an autotext entry to store
and reuse text and graphics" (or some modern version of that title).
With a little thought, you'll find a way to add this and other
standard features to an Autotext toolbar or a custom toolbar that
displays automatically at the top of the the document each time it
opens, allowing your authors to insert standardized (i.e., edited and
carefully checked) text and graphics at the click of an icon. (Like
all toolbars, you can banish this whenever it gets in the way, and
bring it back again when you need it, simply by selecting it under
the View menu: View-->Toolbars-->[name of your custom toolbar]

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

Print version: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=1505747

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList