Re: Question: Generating one Word document in RoboHelpwithallconditional text

Subject: Re: Question: Generating one Word document in RoboHelpwithallconditional text
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
To: Holly Steele <hsteele1 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 21:47:11 -0700

Holly Steele wrote:
> I agree. New users can seriously muck up templates and styles. They say to
> themselves....I think I'll just change what this style looks like etc.
>
> Personally, I don't care that much how they alter the style or template as
> long as they keep the hidden text hidden and the shown text shown. If after
> I am gone they want to make the document look wonky, all the power to them.
>
> I'll write instructions and if they don't follow them...nothing I can do.
>
> Do you know how Doc-To-Help handles hidden styles, templates and linked
> pictures?
>
> RD fields sound interesting although I am somewhat hesitant to use them as I
> don't want to much things up more than they are. Also, since the document I
> am dealing with is a master document and I have short timelines...I am going
> to deal with what I have. I know some people have managed to use Master
> Documents elegantly. But that would take some research.
>
> Holly

What you might consider doing is modularize them, and let the two docs
_be_ separate docs.
Each of them can have RD fields to pull in the necessary stuff.
One great block of stuff would be the common material. There would be
another block of stuff that was only used by the ag doc- or could live
in the ag doc itself.
Ditto the forestry doc. Each of those docs would have its own TOC, which
will generate from its native text and that which is pulled in by the RD
field.

You have to be a bit careful where you break the chunks so they flow ok.
Have all the docs use the same external template. (well, attach the
template, update styles, then you don't have to leave them as
"automatically update"

Anyway- that way the not-so-skilled users can edit the text, update the
TOC. and so forth.

Regards
Jay

--