Re: Gmail and offline access (was RE: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l)

Subject: Re: Gmail and offline access (was RE: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l)
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:49:43 +0530

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Combs, Richard
<richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com> wrote:
> Edgar D' Souza wrote:
>
>> yes, one needs a Web connection... but you can have the best of both
>> worlds, actually, if you set up Gmail for POP with a thread-aware mail
>> client, and set it to NOT delete mails on the server after POPping.
>> That way, you get threading, offline mail, and a backup copy of your
>> mail too..
>
> An even better option than POP is IMAP (Internet Message Access
> Protocol), which Gmail added support for last fall. The Gmail Help
> Center says this (http://tinyurl.com/ystdhh):
>
> "Unlike POP, IMAP offers two-way communication between your web Gmail
> and your email client(s). This means when you log in to Gmail using a
> web browser, actions you perform on email clients and mobile devices
> (ex: putting mail in a 'work' folder) will instantly and automatically
> appear in Gmail (ex: it will already have a 'work' label on that email).

True - and I hope I'm not gratuitously nitpicking here - but this
behavior/benefit assumes an always-on Internet connection. I believe
it's possible to download the contents of an IMAP folder to the local
hard disk for offline reading and replying, but I haven't tried that
out; I've only used the IMAP interface while connected to the Net. I
suppose it depends on your experience with the IMAP interface - mine
was, in general, noticeably slower than the Web interface, using
Mozilla Thunderbird as the client. That's why I still use the Web
interface, and I rather like it...

Regards
Ed.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList