Returning to Tech Writing?

Subject: Returning to Tech Writing?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Barry Baldwin <barry -dot- baldwin -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:13:30 -0400

Barry Baldwin wondered: <<I'm trying to return to Tech Writing in the
software industry after a hiatus spent teaching English overseas, and
a stint as a translator promoted to project manager in manufacturing.
I've got 6+ years of writing professionally, and 4 of those in the
software industry.>>

Sounds like a good resume, though you might want to take a step back
and ask yourself whether you might actually enjoy the translation and
project management roles more than the actual writing. Maybe not! But
combined with your teaching experience, they're important assets: so
many companies are required to localize their work that someone who
knows writing, translation, and management, and who has first-hand
experience with foreign people (i.e., potential clients) should be a
hot property. That's probably how you should be selling yourself.

<<I've been job-hunting for about a year, and haven't had much
success. Jobs are scarce, and I haven't been able to land an
interview with the few that I've found.>>

I've found that the best jobs aren't advertised. So instead, read the
following article and see if it kindles any flames:
http://www.geoff-hart.com/resources/2006/finding-work.htm
Then start hunting down people who might not know yet that they need
you and pitch woo: explain specifically how your unique skills are
going to solve their specific problem.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

Print version: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=1505747

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList