RE: virtual Flare?

Subject: RE: virtual Flare?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:23:19 -0400

Edgar D' Souza [mailto:edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com] suggested:
> > Is anyone successfully using Madcap Flare via Wine on Linux?
>
> Wine's AppDB (http://appdb.winehq.org/ ) doesn't list it; apparently
> Flare needs the MS .NET framework, and I guess this is a bit of a
> hurdle to a Wine-based launch.

Hmm. Given how many times I've had to re-install .NET 2, to get Flare
working properly again, it would seem that it's a bit of a hurdle for
Windows, as well. :-)

> Mono, the Novell-sponsored Open .NET implementation for
> Linux/BSDs/Solaris, may be able to provide the necessary support, but
> I think it's not too likely. Still, according to
> http://www.mono-project.com/FAQ:_General
> "Yes, Mono can run binaries produced by Visual Studio, there is no
> need to recompile. Use our Mono Migration Analysis tool to check if
> everything that your application uses has been implemented in Mono or
> if there are special considerations to keep in mind. The Mono API
> today is somewhere in between .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.5 see our Roadmap
> for details about what is implemented."
>
> Though this may not catch all possible glitches, if you are
> considering trying to run Flare on Linux (I'm a Linux fan, so I
> heartily applaud your intentions! :-) ) then it might be a good idea
> to download the Mono Migration Analysis tool
> (http://www.mono-project.com/Moma ) and run it against your copy of
> Flare, and see how bad (or good) the report is.
>
> Regards, and all the best in the investigation :)
> Ed.

Well, MoMA didn't take long to generate a rather discouraging report.

Maybe some other virtualization system.
I'll poke around a bit, but the idea would be to have Flare running in a
Window in KDE, and not require jumping between/among OS sessions, a la
VMWare.

- Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList