Re: Coworker who won't take no for an answer

Subject: Re: Coworker who won't take no for an answer
From: "Gina Jones" <gina -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:03:37 -0400

*<quote> Perhaps the LWL (little white lie) is called for: Tell him that you
talked
it over with your sons and your Serious Love Interest, and they you've
decided as a family that there's just not room in your busy lives for yet
another time commitment. Perhaps that will get him to realize that the
object of his affection is not available or interested.

If that doesn't work, then perhaps escalation is called for. I have seen
situations where, once HR was brought it, it had devastating consequences
in situations that deserved a more tactful approach. And that could have
an effect on a project if he gets fired.

My 2¢,

John G </quote>*

I happen to agree with John in this situation. Don't escalate it unless it
is absolutely necessary.

Step 1 -- Try John's suggestion.
Step 2 -- If that doesn't work, the next time he makes a comment say "I've
already said we can't. You are making me uncomfortable by pushing it. Can
you drop it please? Thanks!" (with a smile) {The key words here are 'you
are making me uncomfortable'}
Step 3 -- If that doesn't work, speak with YOUR direct supervisor only for
advice. They may be able to handle it discreetly and with no repercussions
on your project. At the very worst, he may be a little embarrassed but since
you can both ignore it, then it won't come up.
Step 4 -- After that, it's HR time which is unfortunate.

Good Luck!!

Gina

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/