RE: Contracting/Freelancing question: what is billable?

Subject: RE: Contracting/Freelancing question: what is billable?
From: "Hemstreet, Deborah" <DHemstreet -at- kaydon -dot- com>
To: "Tracey Bean" <traceybean -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:09:16 -0400

Hi Tracey,

>From the point of view of the client - I don't believe that charging
travel time is reasonable (having been a client).

However, as the contractor, I realize now that it is reasonable.
However, I would negotiate on this - I do not think driving should be
charged your full value per hour.

In addition, the US Govt. has a set price that you can deduct mileage
(if you are driving).. Which could be considered compensation.

Everything else, I think is reasonable. I had a project that required
unique learning and the client knew up front that they were paying for
my learning. What is important is that there is no hiding behind the
numbers... But it sounds to me like you are already quite transparent.
As a client that is what I appreciate.

Biggest burn for me? Was when I was working elsewhere and we implemented
a certain type of tool at the contractor's recommendation - but the
contractor had never tested the tool and never checked our real needs...
(though they implied that they had.) Then when we got burned, we were
told it was not their problem.

The contractor got paid, and sadly, lots of picking up after them... So
I would recommend that if you are urging them to use a new tool, find a
way to validate that the tool will really work as promised.

Hope this is helpful.

Deborah