RE: Agile working with offsite teams

Subject: RE: Agile working with offsite teams
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:45:02 -0500

I really don't doubt that it can be done. My experience says that
there are a lot of factors, and requires complete buy in and
understanding by all members of the team.

I have had too many experiences where these are not present. To
illustrate it, look at the use of something much simplier, like a bug
tracking program used to log in problems track discussion of the
problems and the solution. Usually they are vague, partial, and
misleading snippets of information, some of could even be erroneous,
but since "everyone knows" what is going on, why document it?

The only people who really know what is going on are the one or two
people who have a hand in the coding. Agile, like all complicated
processes requires communication and knowledge of the process, and a
ruthless application of the rules by someone who can enforce them.

Otherwise it mearly becomes eyewash, buzzwords, and another thing to
checkoff on a list that is really only there to show that you have
gone through the motions.

I may seem cynical, and I am because of experiences.

Scott

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/