RE: Agile working with offsite teams

Subject: RE: Agile working with offsite teams
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Julie Stickler" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:52:07 -0700

As I understand it, Agile is to software development what poetry is to
literature. It is very difficult to do well, very easy to do poorly, and
most people don't understand why a good poem is good and a bad poem
isn't. When you give college freshmen the option of either turning in an
expository essay or writing a poem, the worst "writers" invariably
choose to write a "poem" (and the results are predictable).

Granted the distributed nature of your team, I can't imagine how your
team will use Agile. Perhaps they intend to adopt only some Agile
principles.

Why do I say this? Check out "Principles behind the Agile Manifesto"
(http://xprogramming.com/xpmag/jatAgileIsIsNotMayBe.htm). It includes
the following principles:

"Business people and developers must work together daily throughout the
project."

"The most efficient and effective method of conveying information to and
within a development team is face-to-face conversation."

Even if the development team manages to pull off daily teleconferences
between developers and customers, fact-to-face conversation isn't going
to happen. What they plan to do instead? How will what they do get
communicated to you and QA?

The problem with a piecemeal approach, picking and choosing what Agile
principles you'll use and which you'll discard, is that you aren't
really doing Agile. You are in uncharted waters. And that might be fine
for mature, disciplined, and well integrated development teams.

You might also want to check out "Perils and Pitfalls of Agile Adoption"
(http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=441115). Among other
things, the author states the following:

"It's really easy to throw out the big, thick methodology binder and the
heavyweight requirements documents, but Agile development expects that
something will replace them. Many organizations move to iterative
development without automated testing-with the result that the testing
burden grows exponentially-or move to iterative development but keep the
hard deadlines and the expectation of full delivery on a ship date. Pair
programming without communication and feedback is just someone breathing
over your shoulder. Without testing skills, a developer won't be able to
do automated testing; worse, he won't even realize this as he wastes
hours writing so-called 'tests.'

"In other words, Agile techniques require depth: the ability to know the
right techniques for the current project and the ability to choose
between them. Without direction, a team told to throw away its waterfall
method will simply devolve into "code and fix.

"That isn't Agile: it's chaos."

Leonard