RE: "budget" laptop?

Subject: RE: "budget" laptop?
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, Edgar D' Souza <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:36:33 -0400

Responding to Edgar's request for specific info on the
ability of a shared memory video card to access memory
above 3GB, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
> Sorry, don't have any. It's also possible that my
> understanding is wrong. If you need to know for
> sure you might want to contact tech support for
> one of the manufacturers of these cards and get
> them to explain it to you.

Sorry to say I'm in the same boat as Gene. I have been
assuming that the video card should be able to map to
any block of memory that is electrically and logically
addressible by the motherboard and northbridge,
whether or not the OS knows how to use that memory
to run applications in. But I could be wrong.

Either way, though, my central point--that any memory
configuration exceeding 3GB is of little or no benefit
unless you're running a 64-bit OS--is still valid. I had
allowed for the possibility that the 4th GB *might* be
useful with some specific video cards when using a
32-bit OS, but if this is not the case it just makes the
point stronger. Buying more memory than you can
actually use now makes no sense because the price
trend for all types of computer hardware is downward.
Buy hardware only when you actually need it because
ti will be cheaper than it is now.

-Fred Ridder

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/