What format do you use for proofing?

Subject: What format do you use for proofing?
From: "Shannon Wade" <SWade -at- daktronics -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 14:16:30 -0500

I searched the archives to see if any of this had come up, but I found nothing. If I am repeating questions, I apologize. I'm hoping to generate some discussion here and thereby generate some ideas of my own.

Our company is currently using Word 2007 as the main program we use to create manuals. I don't dislike Word (at least not at this very moment), but I do find that it was most certainly not designed for the types of uses we're attempting. We are moving to a DITA format within the next year. With that move we are also looking at other software.

We use SharePoint to house all our tasks and documents. Currently, we either:

Send the reviewer a PDF of a document so they don't monkey around with it and leave us with no idea as to what the changes were or foul up the styles by trying to "help" us update the document.

OR

Send the reviewer a task with a link to the manual on our server.

We have two distinct types of reviewers. One group absolutely MUST proof by printing a hard copy, making the changes, then routing it back to us in -inter-office mail. (I'll admit to being in this group myself.) The other much prefers to make comments on the PDF and then send it back by email.

What format are you using for proofing and why?

I subscribe to the digest, so answers directly to me and the list would be appreciated.

Shannon Wade
Technical Writer

tel 605.697.3219
website www.daktronics.com