RE: Pointing device question

Subject: RE: Pointing device question
From: "Brian Henderson" <brian-henderson -at- cox -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:17:42 -0700

Oh, just go whole-hog and call it a Trackball-Style Mouse-Alternative User Input Device.

But seriously, what I would say about this sort of situation is that no matter how common the term "trackball" might seem, there are
going to be plenty of people who have never heard it. So, unless you're audience is guaranteed to be at least medium geek, my
impulse would be to spell-out the long-winded version of the term -- at its first instance -- then shorten it thereafter.

-Brian Henderson

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Morton

...rewriting a user guide where intances of "trackball mouse" are littered

Am I OK to just make each instance, "trackball?"



ComponentOne Doc-To-Help gives you everything you need to author and
publish quality Help, Web, and print content. Perfect for technical
authors, developers, and policy writers. Download a FREE trial.

True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
documentation. Boost your productivity!

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Pointing device question: From: Chris Morton

Previous by Author: RE: Rerender or re-render?
Next by Author: I have inherited some Word documents with some kind of auto-generated bookmarks that look like
Previous by Thread: Re: Pointing device question
Next by Thread: Re: Pointing device question

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads