RE: "and then," or simply "then"?

Subject: RE: "and then," or simply "then"?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 04:02:38 -0400

I wouldn't call it that, actually. But refusing to learn and abide by the
rules of a language while operating in the culture that uses that language,
because one is simply stubborn and lazy, marks a person as intellectually
deficient, among other things .

> Before you all leap on this I'll quote from a recent
> presentation I heard (at the UA Conference) by Prof. Geoffrey
> Pullum, who knows a bit about grammar and stuff...

The argument from authority doesn't work here for me.

> "Basically you are all good writers. You know what reads well
> and you know how to write it."

He's feeding you a line so that you will like him. Either that or he's not
read most of what passes for technical writing these days.

> With that in mind I think Apple have the correct approach. It
> scans just as easily TO THE USERS OF THAT PRODUCT with or
> without the 'and'.

One either participates responsibly in the use of a language like an adult,
or one stubbornly sticks to one's guns for infantile reasons. Something's
very wrong in the mind of a person who can kiss off grammatical rules so
cavalierly and demand that people not notice. In the end, literate people
shake their heads and lament that universities are producing such
blockheads.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/