RE: "Good enough"

Subject: RE: "Good enough"
From: "Roy Jacobsen" <royj -at- writingclearandsimple -dot- com>
To: "'Techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:03:54 -0500

Since nobody else has mentioned this yet:
Douglas Adams

In my software development and documentation experience, "good enough"
changes depending on where you are in the development cycle.

It's a given that all software and content has bugs, as much as you try to
eliminate all of them. The question is not, "Do you know about the bugs
before you ship the product and doc?" You usually know about many of them
when you ship it.

The question is, "Are any of the bugs we've identified stop-ship issues?"
Most of the shops I've worked in used a triage system to evaluate bugs when
we were in the release phase (during the last days, sometimes a week or so,
before the scheduled ship date), and we had strict criteria for judging
whether a bug (in the application or the documentation) was a stop-ship
issue. For example, these were stop-ship issues: Does it corrupt the user's
data? Does it crash the system? Does it cause death and dismemberment? (OK,
that last one is an exaggeration; I worked on financial applications.)

It had to be major to prevent the team from meeting that deadline. And I'm
happy to say that we never delayed a release because the doc wasn't ready.
(I will admit to breathing many sighs of relief when some other team caused
a delay, because that gave the doc team more time to clean things up.)

Prior to that phase of the project, we aimed for perfection. But during that
release phase, when triage was happening, if a bug wasn't deemed a stop-ship
issue--for example, a form field that didn't align with the rest of the
fields, or a dangling modifier on page 27--it was deemed "good enough; we'll
fix it when we release the next patch."