Re: Use of definite article

Subject: Re: Use of definite article
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:11:38 -0500

With the mention of trademarks (reg, etc.), I'm starting to recall
where I most recently encountered this issue. The legal dept. of the
last place I worked only wanted brands trademarked once, unless they
occurred associated with a different item (e.g., a specific software
product vs a specific hardware product); they said the best location
was the first most obvious one (e.g., title/heading). That was
consistent with the way I'd learned it, and much easier than doing it
every time.

The only problem I can see with this approach is when you're using a
topic-based content management system, as we were. In this case, one
isn't sure whether the trademarked item will occur in a document where
it has already been referenced or not. So ...

We always had a statement at the end about our marks, so I don't think
it was too much of an issue. I've recently seen a wide range of
opinions about how important marks are.

Regards,

Kathleen

--