RE: Best practices for online help book landing pages?

Subject: RE: Best practices for online help book landing pages?
From: "Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)" <David -dot- Chinell -at- GE -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, "Tom Johnson" <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 16:13:40 -0400

All our software products run on Windows XP. We make the TOC pane look
as much like the Windows Explorer navigation pane as possible, so that
the user already has a working model of what will happen in the TOC
pane. (I mean the Explorer bar you see when you click View > Explorer
Bar > Folders.)

In other words, books are just like folders. They hold a collection of
topic documents, but aside from their names (as seen in the TOC pane)
they have no other content or information.

I use open and closed folder icons rather than the default book icons
that some HATTs provide. I require a double-click to open or close the
folder. For RoboHelp HTML Help, I include "Plus/Minus Squares," "Lines
from Root," and "Lines Between Items."

All that more-or-less arises from the strategy of building on the
reader's existing experiences and skills to make Help more familiar in
operation.

There's another strategy I've used in the past, which is to parallel the
behavior of a printed manual. Here, the books are analogous to chapters,
so clicking the book icon opens whatever you'd normally put on a chapter
title page. That's where the topic with the repeated summary of topics
appears -- the analog of a chapter TOC.

But an online "chapter page" seemed kind of out of place in practice, so
I abandoned it.

Bear