Style Guide for UNIX?

Subject: Style Guide for UNIX?
From: "Julie Stickler" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:51:55 -0400

I've just started a new job and I'll be documenting software that runs
on UNIX as well as Windows platforms. It's been a long time since I
did any UNIX back in school, so I've got to get up to speed. I'm
reading through the Installation guide and I'm noticing a lot of steps
that start with what I recognize as UNIX commands (cd, untar) so the
step starts with a lower case letter. This looks odd to me, and I'm
not sure if this is acceptable when documenting UNIX?

What say the experts on the list? Is lower case OK, or should I
rewrite to avoid it? For example, should I edit "cd to the root
directory." to read "Change directory to the root directory."?

Can anyone recommend a Style Guide that you use when documenting UNIX
and Linux? I've usually relied on the Microsoft Manual of Style, but
well, they're Windows, so they don't cover UNIX issues.

Thanks!
Julie Stickler

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/