Re: Alternative to floppy

Subject: Re: Alternative to floppy
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:49:55 -0700

It sounds to me as if there should be greater emphasis
placed on "system requirements," both in documents
and design, to ensure that the system being used has
the necessary peripherals and that they are used as
required.

The last time I worked on FDA-regulated instruments,
part of the IQ/OQ/PQ included verifying that the
necessary hardware to save and archive data in
the manner required by the CFR.was installed and
working, and the system was designed to not allow
the user to start a session if any of the required
hardware was absent or close down a session
without archiving data as mandated. In this
environment, you don't just tell people how to do
what they're supposed to do, you make it impossible
for them to use the product without doing what they're
supposed to do the way they're supposed to do it.

Gene Kim-Eng