RE: Misc: A warning to neologizers

Subject: RE: Misc: A warning to neologizers
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>, "CEL" <copyediting-l -at- listserv -dot- indiana -dot- edu>, "TECHWR-L List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:39:54 -0400

Geoff Hart offered:

> A warning to neologizers: http://xkcd.com/483/
>
> (In case you're not familiar with the XKCD comic: don't forget to
> hover your mouse cursor over the comic. The "hovertext" is often as
> funny as the cartoon.)

Hovertext?
OMG, I thought that was tooltips.

But seriously, my /w/e/a/p/o/n/ browser of choice (Firefox) truncates
the hovertext on most of those cartoons, while the despised MSIE
displays the whole thing.

Sigh.

I just hate it when the good guys **** up while the evil empire gets
something right. It's just too lifelike.

- Kevin

(Beware the approach of a gob of pseudo-legalistic bafflegab... whoops!
... here it is now...)
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com