Re: Misc: A warning to neologizers

Subject: Re: Misc: A warning to neologizers
From: "Lech Rzedzicki" <xchaotic -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:39:12 +0000

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca> wrote:
> A warning to neologizers: http://xkcd.com/483/

I've yet to try Stephenson's latest, but I've read and enjoyed all his
books so far.
Anathem seems to have a decent story and, finally, an ending.

Is is it really so painful to read it? Is it like learning a new language?
So far I've only read the glossary, which is available online [1] and
I'm really looking forward to reading the whole thing...

This indeed seems like a trend du jour in sci-fi writing, I've
recently bought a book for my wife, it's caled "Ice" by Jack Dukaj,
set in an alternate history where WWI didn't happen and it too uses a
lot of new words. I personally found them really funny.

But if you go in other areas of life, you'll find developers inventing
their own DSLs (Domain Specific Languages), gamers saying I'm afk, gl
& hf, gg etc so it's just a fact of life that people develop their own
subset of what's commonly known as English, but in fact, not a single
person speaks exactly the same language...

Lech

Bibliography:
[1] http://www.boingboing.net/images/x_2008/anathem_dictionary_sampling.pdf

http://www.doctohelp.com