RE: Concision?

Subject: RE: Concision?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, "Odile Sullivan-Tarazi" <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com>, "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:41:01 -0700

Ironically, "concision" is more "elegantly terse" than conciseness.

As for Orwell, he was obviously a visual learner. He also was arguably
reacting to the Victorian penchant for circumlocution. Unfortunately,
the aesthetic problems that plague contemporary verbal communication are
opposite those Orwell was trying to correct. Our culture generally
prefers brief, terse, and pithy to a fault. Some might even say that our
culture is strongly anti-intellectual when it comes belles-lettres.

Nevertheless, perhaps there are other reasons to avoid words like
"concision". Let's try using "concision" in another sentence, alongside
a sentence using "conciseness", and hear how it sounds:

-This thread is not informed by concision.

-This thread is not informed by conciseness.

Seems to me that "conciseness" is clunkier phonetically but doesn't give
pause semantically (as does "concision"). So, if I were writing tech
docs, I would use "conciseness", the cognitively less challenging term.
I assume the cognitive dissonance caused by chunkiness is less
distracting to a reader than the semantic difficulty of "concision". If
I were writing to writers or others that might appreciate colorful
prose, I would use "concision".

I wonder if anyone can explain why "concision" strikes one as more
concise than "conciseness" even though it is somewhat esoteric and
comprises the same number of syllables.

Leonard