RE: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?

Subject: RE: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Shannon Wade" <SWade -at- daktronics -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:48:22 -0800

I got that. Perhaps I was unwittingly narrow minded in my comments. I was thinking from the perspective of on-line help (which primarily is what I've been doing for the past several years), where a user may never read front matter, but only jump into needed sections. Being a creature of the Age of the Internet, this too is how I tend to read printed manuals. It takes me all of my willpower to slog through warning pages, and I generally do so only when one of kids' health is at stake.

If your readers are more diligent (or obsessive), your strategy might be fine.

Leonard