Re: FrameMaker 8 books advice please

Subject: Re: FrameMaker 8 books advice please
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Laura Fergusson" <l -dot- fergusson -at- codestuff -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 07:56:13 -0500

My colleague here (who also lurks on this list) implemented a very clever
technique for handling file formats: he created a regular Frame (.fm) file
that contains the all the variables and conditional text settings for a
particular book set. The conditional text and variables are then defined for
each "flavor" of book that you have to produce in separate "formatting
files". These are applied to the entire book as part of the release process,
before creating the PDF.

Not only does it eliminate the need for multiple book files using the same
chapter files, you can see at a glance in the formatting files which
conditions are visible, and what all the variables are set to.

-Wendy

http://www.doctohelp.com