Re: Question about security clearance

Subject: Re: Question about security clearance
From: "Lippincott, Richard" <RLippincott -at- as-e -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:27:41 -0500

John Posada asked:

>Hi, guys...when a job requirement calls for Minimum Security Clearance

>Requirement: Sensitive Compartmentalized Information (TS/SCI), is this

>something you already have and bring with you to a position or is it

>something you must get once you have the position?

John, there's bad news and good news.

First the bad:

As noted, "TS/SCI" indicates and extremely high level of clearance, and
it would take a long time to get one for any individual who has never
held a clearance. One person yesterday mentioned six months when he
applied several years ago...it was over a year for me when I applied for
a Secret in 2004. A TS/SCI would likely even be longer than that.

Also as noted (and it's a common question so I'll repeat it here) if you
don't have a clearance, you can't just apply for one on your own. You
have to be sponsored by your employer, and they have to demonstrate that
you have a need for access to the classified information. (In other
words, a company can't just issue a blanket request for

clearances for all employees.)

Now the good news:

Everyone who has ever held or now holds a security clearance got it in
the same manner: we got hired for jobs where the clearance was needed,
and our employers put in the application. No one is born with a
clearance, everyone gets one by facing that first job where you have to
look the hiring manager in the eye and say "No, I don't have a clearance
but there's nothing in my background that would disqualify me from
getting one."

And more good news: When I said that line in a job interview, the hiring
manager looked right back at me and said "We're just now realizing that
there aren't a whole lot of tech writers with security clearances."

So, my advice is this (and John, it's not just for you but for everyone
reading this, when in that situation): if the job posting calls for a
clearance but you don't have one...and if you truly believe you're the
right person for the job...apply for the position anyway. As it turns
out most of your competition probably faces the same stumbling block you
do. If you're the best candidate, you'll get hired, and the clearance
process will begin.

Good luck!

Rick Lippincott
Technical Writer
AS&E*
American Science & Engineering
829 Middlesex Turnpike
Billerica, MA 01821-3907
978-262-8807 (direct)
978-495-2335 (mobile)
978-262-8702 (fax)

This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain information
that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you should not read,
copy , disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purposes of
delivery to the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error please
delete it and advise AS&E immediately.

http://www.doctohelp.com