RE: Networking Groups - downside?

Subject: RE: Networking Groups - downside?
From: "Richard L Hamilton" <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net>
To: "'Downing, David'" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:07:08 -0700

> I would want to know what precautions people take when they do join
> social networking groups online.

I assume anything I post in any group can and will be read by
any potential future manager. That doesn't mean that I suppress
opinions, but it does mean that I avoid ad hominem attacks and
pay attention to grammar, spelling, and anything else that might
brand me as more illiterate than I already am:).

How open you should be about your lifestyle and non-work-related
opinions is another question. As a hiring manager, I don't want
to hear about anything that is not relevant and legal to know,
but I wouldn't count on every hiring manager feeling the same
way. You've got to make a judgement call on how much you feel
comfortable revealing.

On a completely different note, I have heard that some social
networking sites have less than adequate security in areas that
are supposed to be only accessible to members. I think the major
business ones (LinkedIn, etc.) are fine, but you may want to check
out some of the others.

> Is there any way to keep your personal-social and your business-social
> presences separate? Without lying on the sign-up forms?

Not that I know of, but you wouldn't be the first to lie on
a sign-up form:-).

Best Regards,
Dick Hamilton

Managing Writers: A Real World Guide to Managing Technical Documentation
http://xmlpress.net/managingwriters.html

http://www.doctohelp.com