Re: Need tips on Quick Start Guides

Subject: Re: Need tips on Quick Start Guides
From: Deborah Hemstreet <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
To: Technical Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:08:14 -0500

Hi Craig,

A few months back I asked the same question. Everyone here was quite
helpful.

In the process of developing, however, I discovered that what my client
really wanted was based on a template of something else. In addition,
they wanted to include so much information, that it could not, in any
real way be placed on one or two pages.

In the end they finally admitted they wanted a marketing piece that
never was developed because the training department got wind of what my
client was doing, and said that he had overstepped his bounds. Long story.

Not to sound negative, but I /thought /I had asked enough questions to
do that project. In the end, I had not. I have a feeling not all clients
are as confused as mine was. Nevertheless, make sure you have a clear
understanding of your client's definition of a quick start guide. It
will help tremendously!

Deborah

http://www.doctohelp.com