Re: I had to say it because I was afraid no one else would

Subject: Re: I had to say it because I was afraid no one else would
From: CL T <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:07:31 -0700

Patty,
Beautiful! You've stated it perfectly.

I started this thread and I've gotten a kick out of watching the various
reactions to it. I think I saw a bit more humor and chiding in the article
than I did knives hidden among the words. The lesson I took was "lighten
up!" Something I work towards on a daily basis.

As Tech Writers we all struggle balancing many worlds. Currently I'm
attached to a Marketing Department, yet I write manuals which drip
engineering. I'm always dropped in the middle of fights between "what will
Sell" and "what will Make Sense". Some of the "Responsible Signatures"
realize that I've got a job to do and trust my judgment -- they review, edit
if needed and let me do my job. Others don't, they feel the need to have
that last word.

I no longer fight that battle. It's not one I can win. I could throw my
credentials at them all day! Sure, I've got Co-author credits on a few
books, yes I've got Editor credits on a few books, yes I've written and
published many, many articles, stories, poems, etc. Hell, I even made a
decent living as a Freelance author while going to University.

I could throw those at them and compare them to what they've done and ask
"What right do you have to tell me how to write?"
The answer would be: "I'm your boss, now shut up and write what I tell you".

Honestly? I don't bother letting it burn me. This is a job. It's a field I
enjoy, for now. I chose to be where I'm at because it made sense when the
economy started going south. I knew what I was in for.

So, the point.

A few of you have the choice and the ability to sweep a very large brush
over your canvas. The rest of us have to work on smaller squares. Change
usually comes in small increments. Many of these "words" are put in place by
people with greater influence on our documentation than ourselves, who have
no right to be messing with them. They hear something, somewhere, and spin
it into some sort of shiny uselessness.

Perhaps the article was simply a "Call to Arms" perhaps it was a rant.
Either way, I just thought it was funny and something that made me think
about what I do.

Enjoy your day!

-Collin

http://www.doctohelp.com