Re: Highlighting new material in Webhelp - temporarily

Subject: Re: Highlighting new material in Webhelp - temporarily
From: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:12:57 -0600

Very low tech solutions:

- Put "New" or "Updated" at the end of the new or updated topic title,
then use search and replace to edit it out when needed.
- In RoboHelp, turn on the New topic setting, which changes the icon.

I am not sure about MadCap Flare, because I didn't do new topics in a
released help file, but I know someone I can ask :-)

I'll post back if I get an answer...

PT

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:00 AM, McLauchlan, Kevin <
Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

> Rick Stone [mailto:rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com] suggested:
> >
> > Hi there
> >
> > I was thinking if it is text on a page, you might declare a new style
> > for each release and apply it to the text.
> >
> > When the new version arrives, just configure the new style with no
> > shading so the highlights disappear. Then declare yet another
> > new style
> > and apply the shading to it.
> >
> > Style names might reflect the release.
> > R1
> > R2
> > R3 and so on.
> >
> > I suppose this may result in an eventual buildup of styles in
> > the style
> > sheet. Depends on how often you update.
> >
> > Just pondering out loud... Rick :)
>

> After years of dealing with Word's "infinite style generator", I'm leery
> (bordering on revulsion) of proliferation of styles in any application.
>
> But since Flare doesn't seem to randomly and spontaneously generate
> styles, and a style can be turned off and on at just one location in
> Flare, your suggestion does have a certain economical attraction.
>
> Between that and a "What's New/Changed" Book in the ToC, I guess I've
> got the problem covered.
>

> Whoops! Late-breaking news, Paul suggested some possibly clean-cut ways
> to prevent style proliferation via global editing of span class tags and
> CSS changes.
> Thanks,
>
> - Kevin
> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
> may be privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected
> from disclosure. If you have received this communication in
> error, please notify us immediately by replying to this
> message and deleting it from your computer without copying
> or disclosing it.

> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
> solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
> HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
> authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
> once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love....Pursue the
things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their
eyes off you."

- Dr. Maya Angelou

http://www.doctohelp.com