Re: Qualifications for an off shore writer?

Subject: Re: Qualifications for an off shore writer?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:45:43 -0500

> So, I'm
> wondering what sort of requirements I should include in a job
> description beyond what I would include if I were hiring locally?

Honestly, nothing should be different, though I would emphasize the following:
* self-starter
* organized
* communication skills
* project management skills

> Some things that I've considered include:
> - Must be fluent in English.
> - Must have experience writing technical documentation in English.

Well yes, particularly if seeking a writer in a country where English
is not the official or dominant language.

But remember, you're not looking for a good remote employee. You're
looking for a good technical writer. All the skills required of a
remote person align with on-site people. It's how you manage the
communication rules and protocols that makes the difference.

I've led remote teams, and the core of success for remote teams is the
same as what's at the core of success for on-site teams: good, clear
communication. You just have to approach it differently for remote
people, but it's an adjustment that I've found nearly all people make
fairly easily as long as others are doing it well.

Also, with going to agile, this writer's team will not be remote, so
all the qualities of a strong on-site writer apply. The only remote
aspect is the collaboration that writer will need to have with you,
not their project team.

--
Bill Swallow
"techcommdood"