More meeting madness?

Subject: More meeting madness?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: Technical Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Downing, David" <david -dot- downing -at- fiserv -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 15:56:47 -0500

David Downing wondered: <<I was in another one of those meeting today
where the discussion went off the track, and since it was my meeting,
I would have been within my rights to forcibly drag it back on track -
except for one thing. We had already covered everything we needed to
cover. If it had been someone else's meeting, I would have left - but
would it be weird to walk out of your own meeting?>>

Not in the least, and I'm sure you weren't the only person hoping that
someone would give the signal that it's OK to leave. The usual
solution (which I've used successfully) is to simply announce the
following: "Looks like we've covered everything we need to discuss. I
declare the meeting formally adjourned; anyone who wants to stay and
chat is welcome to do so. I've got to get back to my office; drop me a
line if you have anything else you'd like to discuss."

Geoff Hart (www.geoff-hart.com)
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/books/eoe/onscreen-book.htm)

http://www.doctohelp.com