RE: Grammar question

Subject: RE: Grammar question
From: David Hailey <david -dot- hailey -at- usu -dot- edu>
To: "peter -at- galley -dot- ie" <peter -at- galley -dot- ie>, "Moshe Kruger (AllWrite)" <moshe -dot- kruger -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:54:51 -0600

"I was always taught that only people - and by extension places and
organisations - and time can take the possesive. All others should be
re-written."

I have also heard this from a vice president when I worked at Caterpillar. It is wrong.

"My boat's registration and insurance is in the glove box."
"His house's value is still going down."
"My idea's ethos seems good."
"My stent's capacity is not what it used to be ={."
"The painting's creator is unknown." (Unknown created the painting?) =]
"My website's structure is too convoluted."

All things, conceptual and physical, possesses properties.

As to "xxs's," as Sarah pointed out, it is a sound thing. Some things just sound wrong and are not used in spoken language and so should not be used in written language. "The Jones's damned cat. . ." but "The oasis' pool. . ."

All correctness aside, however, I would find out what Apostix's system is and use that. If they don't have one, I would follow peter Neilson's excellent advice -- Apostix Corporation's best intentions.

Hoping this helps someone.

David E. Hailey, Jr., Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Professional and Technical Communication
Utah State University

david -dot- hailey -at- usu -dot- edu
1 435 797 2741