Re: What's wrong with Times New Roman?; was, RE: Hey! She messed with *my* manual

Subject: Re: What's wrong with Times New Roman?; was, RE: Hey! She messed with *my* manual
From: Gary Schnabl <gSchnabl -at- LivernoisYards -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:20:10 -0400

Leonard C. Porrello wrote:
> Not a fan at all. Just wondering what's wrong with it and what I could
> use instead. My understanding is that serifed fonts are more readable in
> print and sans-serif fonts are more readable on-line. So, if there is a
> better alterative to TNR for printed text, I'd love to know.
>
> Leonard

TNR, being a newspaper typeface is somewhat narrow. I tend to use mostly
Palatino Linotype (PL) and sometimes Georgia, in addition to TNR for
serifs. Cambria, one of the newer Microsoft 'C' fonts released with
Vista and Office 2007 is OK, too.

I came across a detailed typographic comparison of several typefaces
that gave PL good marks for kerning and the like.

Gary

http://www.doctohelp.com