RE: that vs who

Subject: RE: that vs who
From: "Donald H White" <dwhite -at- jrtcllc -dot- com>
To: "'Downing, David'" <david -dot- downing -at- Fiserv -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:06:57 -0400

"Who" refers to a person. "That" and "which" refer to groups or things.

I think people write "...[person] that [did something]..." because they are
lazy or because of common public speech. I use "y'all" and "ain't" often in
speech and informal writing (e-mail), but not in a document.

I make bigger, better mistakes in my documents...

Cheers, y'all!

Don White
James River Technical Communications LLC
www.jrtcllc.com