Re: what's this called

Subject: Re: what's this called
From: Dossy Shiobara <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 18:35:07 -0400

>>> I'm searching for a term to describe this Windows behaviour:
>>> I open a folder containing files beginning with different letters of
>>> the alphabet. I press the "c" key and Windows selects the first item
>>> starting with "c" (i.e. as though I had clicked on that item once).
>>> Is there a name for what Windows just did there?

I replied off-list to the OP, but since nobody mentioned it, I'll post
it publically too:

"Find as you type", "Incremental find"[1] or "prefix searching."


Dossy Shiobara | dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com |
Panoptic Computer Network |
"He realized the fastest way to change is to laugh at your own
folly -- then you can let go and quickly move on." (p. 70)

ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.

Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:

what's this called: From: Milan Davidovic
RE: what's this called: From: Jessica Weissman
Re: what's this called: From: Lin Sims
RE: what's this called: From: Kat Kuvinka

Previous by Author: RE: that vs who
Next by Author: Re: Which is more acceptable
Previous by Thread: RE: what's this called
Next by Thread: RE: what's this called

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads