RE: what's this called

Subject: RE: what's this called
From: "Jerry Kindall" <j -dot- kindall -at- tecplot -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:08:05 -0700

Also sprach Milan Davidovic <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>:

> I open a folder containing files beginning with different letters of
> the alphabet. I press the "c" key and Windows selects the first item
> starting with "c" (i.e. as though I had clicked on that item once).

> Is there a name for what Windows just did there?

"Type-ahead selection" or "select-by-typing."

Note that you can type any number of characters and Windows will select
the item that starts with all of them (e.g. "My C" selects "My
Computer"), although if there is more than one matching item it seems to
be a bit cavalier about selecting the one that's first alphabetically.
This is subtly different from the "type C repeatedly and it cyles
through all of them" behavior that others are talking about. Windows
supports both modes of interaction.

Jerry Kindall, SDK Technical Writer
Tecplot, Inc. | Enjoy the View
Bellevue, Washington, USA

ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.

Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Please move off-topic discussions to the Chat list, at:

Previous by Author: Question for Flare Users
Next by Author: RE: what's this called
Previous by Thread: Re: what's this called
Next by Thread: Re: alternative to typo

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads