Re: Technical Writing Certificate

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Certificate
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, seawin22 -at- aol -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:49:19 -0700 (PDT)

I think you should research at the market value of a "certificate" as opposed to a degree of some kind. Frankly, I wouldn't enter any certificate program unless there is a guarantee that I could later progress to at least an AA degree. I admit this is colored by my experience. Back in the late 80s, I got a certificate as an electronics technician, and found out the hard way that it was so much waste paper. Employers wouldn't even consider me for an assembly line job unless I had an AA, which I had to go back and get after several months of fruitless job hunting. Your mileage with a certificate may be better in your area, but I think you should check into it first anyway. Just in case.