Where/how did you learn how to lay out and format tables?

Subject: Where/how did you learn how to lay out and format tables?
From: Paul Sholar <sholarpk -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:47:41 -0700

I'm looking for authoritative sources that present the principles of
laying out tables and formatting cell contents. There doesn't seem to
be very much that exists across the WWW, except about implementing
HTML tables on web pages, so I'm thinking that there must exist
printed books of guidance to typesetters, scientific editors, graphic
designers, book designers, and so on.

I'm aware of what the Chicago Manual of Style has to say, as well as
the U.S. GPO Style Manual and a few others including British Standard
BS 7581. I'm aware of the work of the marketing scientist Andrew S.C.
Ehrenberg about tables. And on the WWW I've found a few other
relatively recently authored articles on the topic. There has been
some interest in the academic computer science community about using
programmatic means to inspect and transform the structures of tables,
even to extract the "meaning" of a table's contents.

So I'm interested in finding other sources, such as the texts you used
in college or art/design school. The stuff I'm looking for probably
didn't receive a book-length treatment and probably occupied only a
chapter in a textbook.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions you have.

//Paul ... sholarpk -at- gmail -dot- com

http://www.doctohelp.com