Re: A reminder: visual and other indexes

Subject: Re: A reminder: visual and other indexes
From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: 'techwr-l List' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 10:50:21 -0500

This brings to mind my firm belief that complete documentation contains reference documentation despite current received wisdom that we should provide only procedural documentation.

Assuming I'm allowed to, I'll always provide chapters that describe the menus, toolbars, workspaces and dialog boxes. This also provides all of the content I need for single-sourcing context-sensitive help.

I maintain that the average user will seek the required information in their preferred format (print, PDF or online help) and if they don't find it there, they'll contact tech support (via phone, live chat or email... thus increasing support costs) rather than checking other documentation formats first.
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Technical Illustrator

http://www.doctohelp.com