Re: Screen captures and sizing

Subject: Re: Screen captures and sizing
From: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Spectrum Writing <SpectrumWriting -at- q -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:03:05 -0500

You should set the capture to 120 dpi directly in SnagIT for use in PDFs. We
did a lot of research on that where I work, and the 120 dpi seems to be the
best compromise between size and clarity.

In SnagIT, access the Help topic "Using the Add New Profile Wizard" and
follow the instructions with the following specifics.

1. In Selecting the Capture Mode (step 1), Select *Image capture.*
2. Set steps 1 through 4 as needed.
3. Step 5 is Selecting Effects. From the Selecting Effects window, click the
* Filters* button.
4. From the Filters available, click *Image Resolution*.

- *Clear* the *Auto Configure* check box.
- Type the resolution (dots per inch, or dpi) in the text box, which
should be at least *120*.
- Click *OK*.

5. Click Next
6. The *Saving the New Profile* window displays. Save the profile. Use this
for your screen captures.

Hope this helps.

PT

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Spectrum Writing <SpectrumWriting -at- q -dot- com>wrote:

> Cross-posted to framers and STC Lone Writers list.
>

> I know that there are many graphics gurus on this list and I will be the
> first to admit - I am NOT a graphics guru and it is my weakest point. That
> said, I have never had any comments from clients until now about what I do
> for screen captures, and I wanted either confirmation or some additional
> insight on improvements for taking screen captures.
>

> Here is the current comment from a client: Generally, I would like to keep
> high quality of screen captures.
>
> Would like to suggest using a tool that can downscale the images with a
> smoothing function to keep high quality appearance. (as appear here, this
> is
> just sub-sampling with no smoothing.)
>

> The comment that I have from the client is what I have - nothing specific
> about fuzziness, or anything else.
>

> I use SnagIt as my capture tool. I use the region option and capture either
> the relevant portion that I need or if required, I take a capture of the
> whole screen. I then save the capture as a .png, and use the import file
> function to bring the capture into my Framemaker file. Obviously, the
> default dpi is set to the fictitious Windows 96 dpi. I change the capture
> 150 dpi and import. If this works for size and clarity, then I am done; if
> not, I right-click on the picture and adjust the dpi until I get the size
> that works for the page layout and what I am trying to show. (After much
> reading on this list, and advice from another colleague, I have learned
> that
> what I was initially taught at a long ago gig - to set the dpi to 300 and
> then use the manual sizing handles - is NOT the way to go).
>

> When I create the PDF, I am manually distilling the file - I don't do a
> "Save as PDF." I use the Adobe printer to print to a postscript file, and
> then distill the postscript file to a PDF. I don't change anything any of
> the settings in Distiller - I use the standard settings option and don't
> change anything.
>

> Can any of you graphics gurus give me some insight as to what else I should
> be doing/changing or if I am doing it the right way - and if you want to
> lecture me off list about dpis and stuff, that is fine with me too. I will
> gladly take whatever information I can glean so that I can reply
> professionally to this client. The pictures are not fuzzy in the PDFs - and
> they have been just fine for all other clients before.
>

> Thanks so much,
>

> Tammy Van Boening
>
> Owner/Principal
>
> Spectrum Writing, LLC
>
> www.spectrumwritingllc.com <http://www.spectrumwritingllc.com/>

> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
> solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
> HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.
> http://www.doctohelp.com

> [...]

“You can only become truly accomplished at something you love....Pursue the
things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their
eyes off you.”

- Dr. Maya Angelou

http://www.doctohelp.com