RE: Text frames in FrameMaker

Subject: RE: Text frames in FrameMaker
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: <gbourguignon -at- abrahamcomm -dot- ca>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 15:49:04 -0600

gbourguignon -at- abrahamcomm -dot- ca wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out how to insert a text frame with a
> border and have the border one color and the inside of the text frame
> a different color (e.g., a 2 pt black border with the inside of the
> text frame yellow).

You can't, directly -- the color you choose for the graphic object (a
text frame is a graphic object) applies to both the fill and the border.
But there are multiple ways to achieve the same result, depending on
what you're trying to do where.

-- If you want the text frame to be on a body page, within the main flow
of the document, Geoff's suggestion to use a single-cell table instead
is by far the best solution, IMHO. Especially if you need to do this
more than once or twice, create a table format for it.

The alternative is to create an anchored frame (Special > Anchored
Frame) and then create a text frame within it (you can't insert a text
frame directly into a text flow). Set the black border on the former,
the fill on the latter, and then adjust their relative sizes (with Snap
off) to eliminate the white gap. Or calculate and set the appropriate
dimensions of one or the other in Object Properties.

-- If you want the text frame on a master page (either as background
text or as a master for body pages), create the text frame directly and
set its fill to yellow. Then create a rectangle with no fill and a black
border, and put it on top of the text frame.

Optional: Either manually resize the rectangle by eye (with Snap off) or
calculate and set the appropriate dimensions in Object Properties so
that the black border of the rectangle exactly aligns with the edges of
the text frame. Then group it and the text frame.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer