RE: Session session session...

Subject: RE: Session session session...
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Suzanne Chiles" <suzchiles -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Rick Stone" <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>, "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:46:31 -0400

:-)

I think I can type "session" faster than I can remember and type a
keyboard macro.

Really, I wasn't bothered by it until I found myself staring at a
paragraph where the word was used three times, and each time meant a
different "session"
- one an SSH command-line session (or other, better word) between an
administrator's workstation and the networked security appliance that
s/he is administering,

- one an encrypted client-server session between a computer (could be
the same one the admin is using, but not necessarily) and the appliance,
for the purpose of securely passing authentication data, and

- one a local physical link (and the encrypted session it engages)
between the computer that's doing the authentication serving and a
handheld device that reads/writes hardware authentication tokens, and
accepts keypad input (something-you-have and something-you-know
two-and-three-factor security).

I could feel my audience getting all sessioned out. Yet it was kinda
necessary to refer to them all because of the interaction of session
timeouts and other settings. Y'see why I was groping for a useful
synonym or three?

According to Fred, possibly none of these ... er... um...
"conversations" actually qualify for the strict definition of session,
but for lack of a better term... I've got sessions coming out my ears.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com