RE: Paint Shop Pro X2 -- HELP!!!

Subject: RE: Paint Shop Pro X2 -- HELP!!!
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>, "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:15:51 -0400

Regarding FrameMaker and its support of transparency, it DOES support
it -- somehow.

The situation is this; my boss wants to send a pdf to the home office
in China to show what the cover of a new manual will look like (the
final cover will be with red logo and black lettering on a 20-percent
grey cover stock). I've TOLD him that the actual priting will be on
grey-colored cover-stock, but I still don't think he understands the
difference. He's a nice guy, just not from these parts.

I've prepared a letter-size FrameMaker page with a full-page
20-percent grey box on the FM master page. On the FM body page
resides the corporate logo, book title, model designations and image
of a hydraulic excavator (vroom-vroom!). I have an image but it's on
a white background.

The product image needs to print sans the white background so that
the grey shows through and only the excavator is seen.

My friend Tim Murray here in metro Atlanta -- who has the great
www.TechKnowledgeCorp.com website -- graciously provided me with an
eps image that _displays_ in my FM 8.0 document (with a grey
background and don't ask why), but print out beautifully with no
background to be found.

I need to learn how to do this in PSP X2.

Tim informed me of the steps to achieving that goal:

1. Use eps graphics.

2. Use "clipping paths" (at least that's what it's called in
PhotoShop) after dropping out the white (in my case) background.

3. After importing this "processed" eps image into my FM 8.0 file,
save the file as a mif.

4. Open the mif in Notepad and globally change all instances of <Fill
7> to <Fill 15>.

I did as he directed -- using the graphic he supplied to me -- and,
as I said above, it _displays_ with the white background, but prints
(using a postscript printer) with the white background gone.

So again, what commands and terms to use in PSP X2 to use the
Photoshop equivalent of "clipping paths".

And as much as I hate to ask, step-by-step is best for this one.

-- Kenpo in Atlanta

At 06:46 PM 6/17/2009, Combs, Richard wrote:
>Lauren wrote:
>
> > > From: poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net
> >
> > > 1. I need to take an existing line art image and drop out the
> > > background and then import it into a FrameMaker 8.0 document.
> >
> > That is a transparency issue. You need to save the document with
> > transparency information, usually as a .png or a .gif. <snip>
>
>Right, but here's the rub: FM doesn't support transparency -- at least,
>not in those formats.
>
>I've read on this list that FM supports transparency in EPS graphics,
>but have no personal experience with that. My rather ancient copy of PSP
>(v7.0), doesn't have a transparency option for Save As Encapsulated
>PostScript, but maybe it's been added in newer versions.
>
>Richard
>

>Richard G. Combs
>Senior Technical Writer
>Polycom, Inc.