Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 44, Issue 23

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 44, Issue 23
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:57:16 +0300

Lauren,

I agree with you that many features of Office seem to be aimed at the
completely clueless. That is a problem with an application that is
supposed to be a sort of "Swiss Army knife" to serve many audiences at
one go.

In my opinion, the use of Microsoft Office as a tech doc tool is
ill-considered to begin with. Too much time must be spent with
work-arounds for things that *still* don't work correctly (can we say
"autonumbering" one more time?)

Unfortunately, Frame was getting sort of long in the tooth last time I used it.

However, as for something that works on a thumb drive, I have good
news! You need not compromise with a cut-down app at
all--OpenOffice.org has been available in a portable version for a few
years now, and works very well. See, for example,
htp://www.portableapps.com. They have many other apps that can be
loaded on the same thumb drive, too, to make a surprsingly complete
software setup you can adjust to the way you work...like your own
fully customized version of Firefox, for instance.

Other resources for portable applications include:
<http://www.pendriveapps.com/>

<http://op111.net/misc/usbapps>
and
<http://www.snapfiles.com/features/ed_usb_software.html>

Note there plenty of other resources from these places, including
photo editors, password managers, and much more.

I hope this helps!

David

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:00, <techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:
> From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>

> I think that the Office ribbon is effective for people who have *no*
> experience with Office, they loathe Office, or they simply want something
> completely different.  I think that most people who use Office on a daily
> basis would prefer the original interface because we know where everything
> is.  Personally, I do not mind that MS adds items to the toolbars, but to
> completely change the toolbars into something absolutely unintuitive for the
> veteran Office user is absolutely moronic.  The learning curve of the
> "ribbon" is so much longer than configuring Office 2007 with an add-in that
> restores the toolbars and in reverting to older versions of Office, that it
> is not worth the effort to me.  I am looking for an effective Office-like
> mini-app or Java-app that I can keep on my thumb drive so that I do not need
> to deal with client mistakes of using Office 2007.
>
> Lauren

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.