I don't even know how to google for this forgotten term?

Subject: I don't even know how to google for this forgotten term?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 08:27:20 -0400

Peter Neilson wondered: <<[Removes head, bangs it on floor, replaces
it--no improvement.]>>

Please note that this trick only works if you were born before ca.
1990. After that, manufacturers started soldering the chips to the
motherboard, and dropping it repeatedly no longer solves anything.
(Historical trivia: I still fondly remember the days of dropping my
Atari 520ST from about 6 inches above the desk to re-seat all the
chips. It really was the officially recommended solution for certain
problems... even had an official name, "the Atari drop". <g>)

<<What are the correct technical terms for a list with two columns,
where you can select items from the inactive column and move them over
to the active one? Or vice-versa.>>

If you're using a specific development environment and writing for a
developer audience, ask one of your developers; they'll tell you the
specific name of that feature in that environment. But if you're
righting for a general audience, never rely on a technical term unless
you're sure that they use that terminology as part of their daily
discourse. (If they do, ask them.) Instead, focus on what the user
will be doing (e.g., moving items from the inactive list to the active
list or back again).

fwiw, this part of the interface is commonly referred to as the
"Organizer", as in Word's templates and add-ins dialog box, so that
might be a good term if you need to define a term for this part of
your software. But again, focusing on the role might reveal a better
name (activator/deactivator? loader/unloader?).

Geoff Hart (www.geoff-hart.com)
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
Effective Onscreen Editing:
http://www.geoff-hart.com/books/eoe/onscreen-book.htm

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.