Re: Aging out was RE: job-hunt weirdness

Subject: Re: Aging out was RE: job-hunt weirdness
From: Elaine Garnet <2egarnet -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:10:47 -0400

Very good plan, Sarah. I always urge younger women to keep their
careers up when they get married and freelancing is one of those
options. I should have been so lucky. After staying home to raise my
son past toddlerhood, my husband divorced me. This gap somehow made me
look non-technical and combined with being older in a market of young
grads reduced me to minimum wage or slightly better jobs. All of these
jobs were boring and I faced a lot of age harassment from younger men
- not in a teasing manner but in a nasty, mean sort of way. Such an
experience is enough to seriously diminish a person's self worth. So,
I was pretty damaged by the time I picked myself up and went out on my
own. Now, I'm doing better than my engineer ex-husband and my clients
seem to value my work. Incidentally, my ex lost his job when he was 50
and had to go out on his own as well. No-one would hire him despite
his experience. Poetic justice? Or, a life event that we may all expect?

Thanks for the link, Mike.