Re: Indicating comparable knowledge in cover letter

Subject: Re: Indicating comparable knowledge in cover letter
From: David Castro <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Anindita Basu <anindita -dot- basu -at- in -dot- ibm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 05:51:08 -0400

If you search the archives for "t-letter" or "t letter," you'll see where
this approach has been covered by some of our more well-seasoned members
some years back. I use it, myself, and it works well. Or, it did 3.5 years
ago...the last time I was job searching. :-)

--
-David Castro
thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Anindita Basu <anindita -dot- basu -at- in -dot- ibm -dot- com>wrote:

> Disclaimer: The job market might operate differently in your part of the
> world.
>
> The last time I applied for a job (and got it and kept it), I had a
> one-page cover letter that went something like:
>
> <standard opening paragraph>
> <second paragraph>The following table shows how my skills and experience
> match your requirements:
> || You need || I have
> || Knowledge of Epic Editor || Worked with structured Framemaker,
> created DTDs and XSLs. Downloaded a trial version of Epic Editor... ||
> </second paragraph>
>
> > Sometimes I come across job openings which require a specific skill, such
> > as RoboHelp experience, and I have a comparable skill, such as EC Help &
> > Manual. I'm guessing others have had this experience with applications
> such
> > as Captivate vs Camtasia and others.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.