Embedding Flash animations in PDF file

Subject: Embedding Flash animations in PDF file
From: David Dorbin <ddorbin -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:34:01 -0700 (PDT)

(cross-posting on the TCS User list)

I'm using Adobe Captivate to capture various screencasts, which I output as Flash and then embed in PDF documents generated from FrameMaker. This is supported, and it works ok when I view the PDF in Windows. However, my internal users are on Macs, and the PDFs don't behave quite the same on Macs.

When I open the PDF in Windows (via either Acrobat Professional Extended 9, or just Acrobat Reader) and click on the Flash item, it plays fine and dandy. When a co-worker tested it on his Mac, each time he clicked on the item, it started, then stopped after about 1 sec. When I run it on MY Mac (I'm using a dual-boot) it fails differently: I get a message box at the bottom that says "buffering . . .," but no progress bar appears, and it never finishes.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? Has anyone else produced PDF files with embedded Flash? Can anyone advise?

Thanks, y'all,
-Dave

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.