RE: Fortune cookies

Subject: RE: Fortune cookies
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net" <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>, Sarah Stegall <sstegall -at- bivio -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:30:03 -0400

If you had purchased an HSM product from a certain company or two (one company bought another, bought another) in approximately 2005-2006, you might have noticed in the WebHelp a "DOs and DON'Ts" page.

It contained (still does mostly) some general cautions and suggested behaviors that field support guys had encountered a lot.

At the end, you would have seen: "And finally, do NOT touch this button." And there was a modest-sized round red button.

If you clicked the button, you got a new "help" page that said "We asked you not to touch the button. Don't touch this button." And the same modest-sized round red button.

Upon clicking that, you went to a new page that said "DON'T touch the button!" (and the button again, always in the same position on the page).

This escalated, with the messages getting more and more exasperated ("Does your mother know you're doing this?? DON'T touch the BUTTON!"...."Look, just STOP, alright? Just stop!"...)

After about page 20 of that sequence, the message said: "If you don't stop touching that button, YOU'LL GO BLIND!"

The next page (after they clicked yet again), said "You were warned!"

A final click brought them to a completely black page.

I got a few notes of appreciation, but an up-and-coming Product Manager caught wind of it and had me remove it. Not serious enough for an "important" company.

When I implemented the original of that, as successive BBS pages on (a corner of) the Ericcson Cellular Systems TAC (Technical Assistance Center) BBS (later became the website) I had 75 pages and the final one didn't just go black, it locked you out of the BBS (later the website) and you had to call Kevin to get re-instated. By the way, most of those pages were lovingly crafted in my off hours. Posting them took seconds.

Currently, my documents and Help for this company are easter-egg and fortune-cookie free. Pretty much.

- Kevin

(yes, I've told that story before on-list)

or disclosing it.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.