RE: Fortune cookies

Subject: RE: Fortune cookies
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:51:38 -0400

I'm actually planning to put the button on just about _every_ page of my own website(s). Maybe I should have kept my yap shut here.

I don't know if I came up with the overall notion on my own (probably not) but the first iteration would have been in the early 1990s. I do know that I created all the escalating message pages from the space between my ears. It was fun reviving it in WebHelp (smaller scale) a decade later, until the jackboot of young-and-insecure authority came down.

It would take five or ten minutes to make the first page, and once you have it as a template, only the messages (one line of text) need to change for each successive page, and of course the link on the button needs to be changed by one number - all the don't-touch pages are named the same except for the sequenctial number.

For the final page, how hard is it to make a big rectangle of black? Go as nuts as you care to, with it opening a new window at full-screen, no nav-bar, etc., or maybe a full-screen video of blackness with sounds of somebody blundering about in a kitchen, but be prepared for the joke to fizzle if people have pop-ups blocked.

I dunno. Should I offer a prize to somebody who's /d/u/m/b/ ...er... persistent enough to wade through all twenty (or 50 or 75 escalating-crankiness) pages? Has anybody ever written a book "Following Instructions for Dummies"?

If you are doing any SEO, I recommend putting the NO-FOLLOW metatag in your keywords for those pages, or Google bots will get cranky.

- Kevin

wwww.mens-health-tips.com

-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet-> inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Gene Kim-Eng
> Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 10:48 AM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Fortune cookies
>
> You don't still have a copy of that, by any chance? I have a
> space at the
> bottom of my homepage where that red button would fit nicely...
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

or disclosing it.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.